Sunday, November 22, 2009

Thanksgiving

The theme at Church today was - surprise - Thankfulness. They were preaching to the choir as far as I was concerned because I am always thankful. At my age I am thankful for good health and a strong body, mind and spirit. I try to keep my mind active by doing puzzels, writing and reading and drawing. I do walking, swimming and exercise using the WII to keep my body strong. My spirit is fed by scripture, prayer and attending Church services, as well as doing service to the Church, community and individuals within them.

I am thankful for my family and try to see them as much as I can, although they are all very far away. Tomorrow John and I are driving to Indiana to see the Washburn family (our daughter Candace's family) We usually go there for Thanksgiving. We have visited often enough that we know many of the people in their Ward and they are all very welcoming.

We went to see our son Bill in Vermont last week. He is 56 and has autism. He is happy, healthy and very tall and handsome. He is intelligent but does not communicate well. Had he been born later he would have had early intervention, but it took seven years after he became 'strange' at age 3 before he had any kind of help. Even then they did not have a name for his problem. I am grateful that he is living with a college trained caretaker. Bill was his first client and lives with the family although there are other clients.

No comments:

Post a Comment